Transferring Courses

Math transfer course evaluations

If you have taken a math course at another institution in the U.S. or abroad, you may have the course evaluated by the Math department to determine if it is equivalent to a math course at IUB.

In addition, if you plan to take a course at another institution in a future semester to transfer back to IUB, you may get preapproval for that course.

Steps to transfer a course

  1. First check the Credit Transfer Service to see if the course in question has been previously approved as an equivalent course at IUB.
    • If the course appears with an IUB equivalent in the Credit Transfer Service, print the CTS page showing the equivalent and keep that page as a record until the course has successfully transferred.
    • If the course does not appear on the CTS website or appears as undistributed credit hours, then the you must submit official course materials to the Math department to have it evaluated. These course materials must include a syllabus, including the title of the textbook used, all topics and chapters covered, and the course prerequisite. Class notes and a sample exam are preferred, but not required.
    • You should use the online, Math transfer course evaluation form, or print the hardcopy version to attach to official course materials. Remember that this process may take several weeks. Please contact the Math advisor, with additional questions.
  2. You should check with the IUB Office of Admissions or International Admissions to ensure that the transfer course comes from an accredited institution and to confirm the number of credit hours earned and the conversion to IUB credit hours.
    • The Department of Mathematics only determines the content equivalency and does not determine if the credit hours will transfer or the credit hour conversion. Also, coursework at other institutions must be completed with a solid C grade to transfer to IU Bloomington.
    • Transfer work completed at other institutions with a C- or below will not be accepted for transfer by the IUB Office of Admissions. Students should not rely on advice from individuals at other institutions about what courses will or will not transfer to IUB.

IU intercampus transfer equivalencies

You should contact the math advisor, Laura Merrell, and the appropriate major advisor to ensure that Math courses taken at other IU campuses will fulfill the desired requirement at IUB.

Be sure to contact the Math department at the other campus to ensure you have met all prerequisites and placement guidelines on the other campus, as other IU campuses may not honor Math placement guidelines from IUB.

Students taking courses at IPFW should check with that campus to ensure that they are enrolled as an IU visiting student and not as a Purdue student.

Learn about how to enroll as a visiting student Contact an advisor

Course prerequisites at other institutions or IU campuses

If you need to demonstrate prerequisite knowledge to enroll in a math course at another institution or IU campus, contact the Mathematics department for a memo confirming and interpreting an IUB MSA score, an ALEKS placement score, or a prerequisite course.

Keep in mind that the IUB Mathematics department can only provide evidence of placement recommendations given at IUB and cannot guarantee that other institutions or campuses will allow enrollment without their own prerequisite or placement exam.